This course covers the history, symbolism and use of Tarot. The Tarot is a deck of cards that can be used as a tool for developing intuition, but it is more than this.
It contains symbolic images that express a mystical philosophy, a philosophy that stems from the mentors of Western culture, Pythagoras and Plato, and that has been cherished by mystics and sages over centuries.
The Tarot is a map of the spiritual universe, a mandala, divided into separate components but maintaining the pattern through the relationship of each component to another.
The insights provided by the Tarot can assist individual self-growth and show different solutions or outcomes to a particular problem.
Terry Lively, MA
Required Text and Learning Materials:
Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners. By Joan Bunning
- Students will be familiarized with the history, symbolism and uses of Tarot cards
- Students will be introduced to the variety of Tarot decks. Students will identify and describe the Major and Minor Arcanas along with the four suits; Cups, Wands, Pentacles, and Swords.
- Students will learn traditional and modern Tarot spreads and how to use these spreads for additional information.
- Students will explore ethical considerations, legalities and business with Tarot cards.
- Students will be introduced to several working Tarot card readers for their insight. Students will be encouraged to recognize and use their intuition.
- Early Symbolism
- History of Tarot cards
- Major Arcana symbolism
- Minor Arcana symbolism
- Tarot spread symbolism
- Ethical Considerations
- Working as a Tarot Reader
Video/Audio lectures, online research
- Students will take a 10-question objective quiz for each video/audio lecture and reading assignment (tests and quizzes tool) (1200 potential points).
- Students will participate in private and forum discussions covering topics from the lectures on Skype.
- Students will discuss and solve Tarot reading scenarios
Class is graded as follows, based on percentages:
- 90-100 = A
- 80-89 = B
- 70-79 = C
- 60-69 = D
- 0-59 = F
Students have twelve weeks to complete this course.