About the International Metaphysical University
Learn more about our fully-online education in Metaphysics and open the doorways to both your mind and to the world.
The International Metaphysical Churches began in Vienna, WV in 2003. We were originally called The Self-Health and Awareness Center in deference the somewhat inherent prejudice of the community in which it was created and because so many members our our community are uncomfortable with the largely Christian terminology of “Church.” More and more people in our community refer to their places of gathering and worship as Centers in reference to the community they create.
Like the Native American tradition, however, we believe that the place of gathering is irrelevant. It is within us and travels within us wherever we go. Ceremonies can take place at a commercial location (often the least desirable), in your home, at sacred sites, in nature, or in the recesses of your own mind. A church is as much a state of mind as it is a location and at UMC, we honor that.
IMC was originally founded by Reverends Deborah Lindsey and Joseph Fielder. Within a short time, Reverend Randall Hastings joined the team and regular weekly ceremonies commenced. For the next 8 years, the Center offered weekly ceremonies. They also grew to include spiritual healing services and regular training. The trainings included Holistic Healing, Spiritual Development, Psychic Development, Shamanic teachings, Galactic teachings (UFOs) and more.
In 2009, SHAC (IMC) grew to include an international teaching division called “The International Metaphyiscal University.” The University has since grown to offer courses in different aspects of Metaphysics including Consciousness Studies, Intuitive Arts, Energy Healing, and Shamanic Studies.
Mission of IMU
It is the mission of the International Metaphysical University to provide an open-minded platform for the examination, exploration, and advancement of consciousness in an online educational environment. Toward this goal, we:
- Offer high-quality, credible, enjoyable, and comprehensive education in alternative areas of study
- Employ top experts in related fields to provide the highest-quality education possible
- Graduate knowledgeable, forward-thinking, and well-trained professionals with the ability to think for themselves and push boundaries to become leaders in their respective fields
- Encourage, document, and publish independent research for the purpose of garnering credibility and encouraging mainstream acceptance and use of field-related processes and information
- Bring together top experts in related fields to encourage problem-solving through cooperation, brainstorming, and research
- Encourage and support growth of the metaphysical community across the globe
- Ordain Ministerial Lightworkers
- Raise the consciousness of the planet and beyond
The goal of accreditation is to ensure that education provided by institutions of higher education meets acceptable levels of quality (US Department of Education). Traditional colleges and universities use accreditation as a measuring stick to compare their individual programs to a set of national standards provided by the professional organizations associated with the degrees being offered. Colleges choose to get accredited so that they can exchange credits with each other.
In the world of metaphysics, our professional associations are not recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. As a result, metaphysical colleges and universities are not required to be accredited by the U.S. government. Students who complete courses in non-government approved programs are generally not permitted to transfer credits to U.S. accredited schools.