FAQ about Online Learning
Taking a course online is fun and easy to do. If you can use a computer to get email then you can use our course management system, known as Moodle.
Moodle is the most popular online classroom software in the world. It is used by major universities all over the world. It offers a wide variety of tools that make taking an online class interactive, interesting, and fun.
A high-speed internet connection is highly recommended (DSL, broadband, or satellite). To get started, look at the frequently asked questions below. If you still have questions then, contact us at 304-295-4411.
How do I know if online learning is for me?
If you have never taken a distance learning course online and are unsure whether or not online learning is for you, then here are a couple of statements you can consider to help you determine if you have the necessary skills to be a successful online learner:
- Must be self-reliant and self-motivated
- Must have good self-discipline
- Must have basic computer skills
- The ability to read carefully and to follow written instructions.
How do I access my classes?
Classes are all available through our course management system known as Moodle. When you sign up for your course, you will receive a login and password that will give you access to your classes. Simply click on the “Classroom Login’ link on the home page of this website and enter your login and password.
What are some necessary computer operation skills for the distance learner?
- Start up and shut down your computer system and peripheral
- Identify and use icons, windows and menus
- Point, click, double-click and click and drag with mouse
- Use pull-down menus
- Select, open, move and close a window
- Start an application and create a document
- Name, save, retrieve and revise a document
- Save a document using the save and save as command
- Use printing options
What are some necessary Internet skills for the distance learner?
- Connect to the Internet through an Internet Service Provider
- Use e-mail
- Access and use resources on the World Wide Web
- Navigate to a specific Web site
What type of computer equipment do I need for online learning?
Moodle works well in all standard, modern browsers and different operating systems. As with any web based application, you should be aware of your audience, their typical bandwidth and web browsers.
You may also require additional plugins (Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash, etc.), depending on the resources that your instructor uses. You will likely need to have Skpe downloaded and camera on your computer depending on the course.
- An internet connection with a minimum of a 56K modem connection required to access the online course material.
- Anti-virus software
- An installed anti-virus program on the computer(s) that you use for your Internet courses that has been configured to scan e-mails (both sending and receiving) and scan any fixed or removable storage device on your computer is recommended.
Where do I take my tests for an online learning course?
While some courses require Skype (a free program) testing or phone testing most have all of the tests done online.